Tuesday 5 July 2011

Big. Giant. News.

Symbiartic by Glendon Mellow with helpful art direction by Kalliopi Monoyios.


The new Scientific American blog network has launched this morning!  And I'm on it!

Head over and say welcome to Symbiartic!
I'll be co-blogging with scientific illustrator Kalliopi Monoyios about art + science, scientific illustration, copyright issues, how new media change art, data visualization, science cartoons, comics, architecture, photography, fine art and much more. You may remember Kalliopi Monoyios from the blog An Eye for Science, sometimes featured on my Scumble posts. She was also the illustrator for the books Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin and Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne.

I'm completely thrilled Kalliopi is joining me on this blog, she's tremendous fun and it's been a real collaboration while we worked on getting this ready behind the scenes. Read our introduction post, Visual Beings: Meet Symbiartic.

- -

So what does this mean for The Flying Trilobite? A few changes. The Scumble science-art posts I use to highlight artists and artwork from the Science Artists Feed will be moving over to Symbiartic. There's so much good work out there, I like to try and highlight what I can, even if it's not a longer form blog post and analysis or interview.

The Flying Trilobite will still be the primary showcase for my own work, and work in progress, personal commentary and so on. Symbiartic will be myself as a fine artist and Kalliopi as a scientific illustrator (and both of us as geeks) discussing mainly other people's work, unless one of us has an event we want to post there.

Basically, The Flying Trilobite is all about me, and Symbiartic is all about the science-art movement and community.

- -

And wait until you see what other blogs are on the new Scientific American blog network!

Head over to blog community editor Bora Zivkovic's welcome on The Network Central.

And thanks to all my Flying Trilobite readers and art-fans!
Check out Symbiartic

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.


Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop

13 comments:

Trish said...

Congratulations!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Trish! *beaming*

Brian George said...

Holy Wow! Good for you Glendon! So exciting!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Brian! I hope it's still okay with if I still step inside the Mad Art Lab from time to time too. ;-)

traumador said...

Congrats man!

Carol Creech said...

Congratulations!! I can't wait to check out Symbiartic.
Carol

Sharon said...

That's so amazingly cool! Congratulations!!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Carol! Thanks Sharon!

Now: get back to painting, I have content I need to gather & write about. ;-)

traumador said...

Okay I've hit my first huge gripe with your new blog (though through no fault of your own). I hate, hate, HATE the fact when I scribe to it I end up with every other one of the Scientific American blogs in my feed!

I'd suggest putting up a heads up post here when you guys post there, as I'm not clogging my feed up with that many new blogs (I have too many as is anyways!).

Glendon Mellow said...

Actually Craig you can grab the individual one too: it's in each blog's title bar on the right (same bar with image and blog name).

The RSS for Symbiartic is:
http://rss.sciam.com/symbiartic/feed

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!! Congrats, man! I'm so happy for you!! :DDDD

Lynne said...

Wow, I know I'm late to the party but this IS such cool news. It seems like things are really taking off for you! :D

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Raptor! Thanks Lynne!

It's been a good week.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |