Wednesday 4 June 2008

Flying Trilobite Fossil Tattoo

In my last post, I alluded to a mysterious image of the Mythical Flying Trilobite Fossil.

The image I designed would not be completed by me. Instead it was completed by the talented and professional Andre of Pick Your Poison Custom Tattoos.

So yeah, I'm serious about my art and concepts. Now to submit it to Carl Zimmer's Science Tattoo Emporium...



Edit: The trilobite is an elrathia kingii, very similar to the one on the trilobite ring my wife gave me some years ago. The bat wings were taken directly from the Flying Trilobite painted shale in the possession of my good friend Rudi L, which can also be seen in this interview with Virginia Hughes at Page 3.14 from last year.

Elrathia represents to me the archetypal trilobite. Not too many fancy spines or other evolutionary power-ups, it is a common trilobite, and often found made into jewellery. They are usually only an inch or two across, and never had wings. All trilobites were aquatic.

One of the main things I love about art is to produce unreal visions based on the enormous wealth of knowledge no other generation had access to. I believe to do less is a disservice to the times we live in, and how much we know about the times that came before, and the universe at large.
Okay, I think I'm coming off the tat' endorphins now.
- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.

2 comments:

Peter Bond said...

Welcome to the Ink Club, Glendon! Was it your first? I also decided to express my love to all things artistic and palaeontological:
http://petersaurus.blogspot.com/search/label/tattoo
The trilobite looks great! Looking forward to you Boneyard carnival...

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Peter!

It's actually my second. The other is a stylised Celtic letter "M" held over from my more pagan-ish days.

I remember seeing your sweet theropod before. Nice!

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |